Thursday, March 13, 2014

Learning Values from Home

I grew up in the Northeast region of Georgia. My town is at the bottom of the Appalachian mountains, and touches a large portion of Lake Lanier. This is unique because though we are pretty small, we have distinct regions of people. We have a lot of farming community, but we are also based around a giant chicken production industry. We have very diverse types of people: we have very rich, very poor, and everything in between. Our weather is fairly mild, which creates a little bit of everything. We have warm summers, cooler winters, and even the occasional snowstorm.

Both of my parents grew up in the same place I did, so I love to hear about growing up on the lake, and hanging out with their friends. Being from the South, we treasure slow summers and family time. We boat regularly and we actually live on the lake now because of my parents’ memories growing up. 

Once, my dad skied underneath a dock because his brother Blake drove the boat too close to the shore. My mom used to take out her father’s boat every day with all of her friends and they would jump off the bridges throughout the lake.  These are just some of the ways they lived while growing up.



I think that these types of stories and experiences have made me truly value family and learning how to appreciate my surroundings. I love to spend time with friends and family, and I make time for others regularly. Though school is extremely important, I know that its not everything to this life. I work to live, not the other way around. My grandparents and parents all worked extremely hard to provide for us, but through that, I’ve learned that enjoyment is necessary. We are people who need people and who love people. I’ve learned this through my parents upbringings and my own in Northeast Georgia. 



(2014, February 11). Georgia Base and Elevation Maps. Netstate.com. Retrieved March 13, 2014, from http://www.netstate.com/states/geography/mapcom/ga_mapscom.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment